Pages

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Earth Day

Hello everyone :)!!!! Hope you had a fantastic weekend!!!!

It's been quite awhile since I last wrote on my blog, and I do apologize for my absence. As I mentioned on my last post we were in transition moving to a new apartment, hence why my silence as we were very busy. Things are looking better now, we are settled and ready to start our routine again. I love my new place, by the way :))))!!!!

Even though we  and things were quite hectic, I managed to teach and celebrate Earth day with my son. This past week was filled with many topics about ways to save the planet.

We made a balloon paper mache Earth, which took him three days to finish. We used a balloon, a cup to hold the balloon, strips of newspapers and a few strips of paper towel. To make the paper mache mixture I used two cups of flour and 5 cups of water. I instructed my son to dip the paper into the paste and after use his fingers to wipe off the excess so that his balloon doesn't drip and dry faster. As he laid the newspaper onto the balloon he gently  smoothed the wrinkles. We covered the balloon with two layers of newspaper and 1 layer of paper towel. We used the paper towel as a finish in order to make it nicer when he would paint the continents. For each layer we let it dry overnight.


The second to last part of my son's job was to paint the continents. I showed a picture on the internet of what it looks like and asked him to paint an approximation as best he could. He did a wonderful job!!!!! He painted the continents twice in order to obtain a better result. Furthermore, I also requested him to write the name of the continents on the balloon.


Then his balloon paper marche Earth was completed :))).


Moreover, he did many exercises involving recycling, reducing, reusing and learning about ways to save the planet. 


What about you? What was your Earth Day craft?

Hope you enjoyed our post. Have a terrific week.

Thanks!!!!
Fabiana



No comments:

Post a Comment

.