Pages

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Dr. Seuss

Today we started our activities focusing on Dr. Seuss Birthday and NEA's Read Across America week. As I am not from USA, I wasn't aware of the NEA's Read Across America. I found out through other teachers' blogs that I follow. I did some research  and discovered the meaning of this cause, which I would like to leave a small note for those who might be in the same situation that I was previously.

NEA's Read Across America is a nationwide reading celebration that takes place annually on March 2—Dr. Seuss’s birthday. Across the country, thousands of schools, libraries, and community centers participate by bringing together kids, teens, and books, and you can too! Incorporate these guides and activities to celebrate reading with young people. 
http://www.seussville.com/Educators/educatorReadAcrossAmerica.php

We already love Dr. Seuss' books, so to read some of those books again its always fun. To get on Dr. Seuss mood we started the day creating a "Cat in the Hat" hat, and also his bow tie.

I used a Spiderman cookies cardboard to design the hat, which we wrapped with white construction paper. I used red construction paper to create the strips.


The idea of this hat was taken from "Too Busy for TV". To access the instructions of how to design the hat click on the following link please:
http://toobusyfortv.blogspot.com/search/label/Dr.%20Seuss



My son asked me to make the tie. I created it using construction paper because it was the only red material I had available at home. I cut a A4 size sheet of the paper in half and made a bow.


The other half of the paper I used to make the third part of the tie that hangs on the chest. I used normal school glue to glue the paper.


I still have Christmas ribbon, thus I used it to attach to the tie to make the knot. 


It is a simple and inexpensive tie that looks quite nice.


Furthermore, we worked on a few worksheets I downloaded on TPT . We did word search, rhyming, maths, and many more. There are plenty of brilliant materials about Dr. Seuss on TPT .

My son also enjoyed exploring the Seussville website by playing games and doing activities online: http://www.seussville.com. It is a great website with many educational activities about Dr. Seuss books.

We are continuing to study this subject until the rest of the week, so I will post more fun things. Thank you :)!!!

Fabiana



No comments:

Post a Comment

.