Pages

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Adjectives

Today we worked with adjectives, we read Hairy, Scary, Ordinary - What is an Adjective? by Brian P. Cleary, and Many Luscious Lollipops - A Book About Adjectives by Ruth Heller. These two books are wonderful resources to introduce adjectives to your child, I highly recommend.

This is our third week working with adjectives, I have taught my son to describe people and animals, and today I wanted to teach him to describe things. As my son loves chocolate cake, I thought asking him to  help me baking the cake would be a brilliant idea to teach him mathematics (focusing on measurement), as well as identify adjectives that would describe things, which in this case is the cake.

The recipe for the chocolate cake is very simple and easy to make, which is related below.

Ingredientes:
2 cups of all purpose flour;
2 cups of sugar;
1 cup of milk;
7 tablespoons of coca powder (we used dark cocoa powder);
1 tablespoon of baking powder;
6 eggs.

Preparation:

1: Pre heat the oven to 350˚ F. Beat the egg whites until it is thick, then mix it with the egg yolks, and stir.


2: Add the sugar and stir.


3: Add the flower and stir.


4: Add the milk and stir.


5: Add the chocolate powder and stir.


6: Add the baking powder and stir.



7: Grease a baking tray and put it in the oven to cook for approximately 40 minutes or until it is cooked.



As you wait for the cake to bake, make the chocolate sauce to put on top of the cake. Use 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder, 1 tablespoon of butter and half a cup of milk. Cook it until it begins to boil then place it onto the cake.



Whilst we were savouring the cake, I asked my son to relate to me the adjectives that would describe the cake. He said: delicious, soft, good, brown, tasty and beautiful. He surely enjoyed the chocolate cake :)))).

The next step of our adjective lesson was to make a craft chocolate cake to display the adjectives that he had above mentioned.

Materials: small box of cereal, constructions paper, scissors and glue.


1st step: Open the cereal box and cut the edges, then cut the sides going on an inclined direction, making a basket shape.


2nd step: Cut the construction shape to create a cloud shape. Then glue it onto the cut cereal box. Afterwards make a small strawberry and glue it onto the construction paper.


3rd step: As I wanted to display the craft cake and its adjectives, I also asked my son to make small versions of the main cake. However, He did not glue the strawberry on the small craft cakes, instead he wrote the adjectives he had described earlier.



The image below is how our display looked. I stuck the artwork on the window that's why it has the building and the trees background :))).



Another exercise that my son did was to write a few sentences that I was dictating.  He needed to point out the adjectives and circle it. I also asked him to tell me the meaning of an adjective, as well as telling me the punctuation to be used and the reason for using it.



It was a very productive day today. Hope you enjoy my post. Inform me please if you have any question, suggestion or comment. Thanks :)))!!!!

Fabiana

No comments:

Post a Comment

.