Pages

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Maths Curriculum


Continuing with my research to find the best 1st grade curriculum to homeschool my son, today I am posting the Maths curriculum. As mentioned in previous posts I planned the methodology of my teaching based on the requirements of the Standard Common Core of Illinois State.  To access all the information necessary about homeschooling and learning standard, you just need to visit the Illinois State web page: http://www.isbe.state.il.us/ils/Default.htm

I couldn't copy either download the maths standard common core as it is available just for printing. Maybe you will be able to download it on your computer, but I couldn't. However, I am copying the link so it will be easier for you to access.
http://www.corestandards.org/assets/CCSSI_Math%20Standards.pdf



Below I describe a few examples of lesson plans to meet the learning standards requirements:


1.    Add and subtract up to the number 50.
2.    Complete word problems that require you to add and subtract up to 50.
3.    Understand what estimate means and be able to estimate simple numbers.
4.    Identify quarters, nickels, dimes, pennies and dollars and add it.
5.    Understand whole, half, one third, and one fourth by shading in circles, squares, and rectangles.
6.    Learn shapes in 2D and 3D such as cones, cubes, and spheres.
7.    Able to tell time in hours and minutes using analog and digital clock.
8.    Understand a ruler and be able to identify inches and cm.
9.    Able to read a measuring cup by ½, ¼, and 1 cup.
10. Able to read a calendar (days, weeks, and months).
11. Able to tell which months go with which season.
12. Understand and recognize patterns.
13. Understand tally charts, bar graphs, and other simple charts and graphs.
14. Write numbers to 100.
15. Count up to 1000.
16. Count by 2's, 5's, and 10's.
17. Learn greater than, less than, and equal to.
18. Learn ordinal and cardinal numbers.


To teach this subject I will use mainly “Singaporemath”. Singaporemath is a mastery-based curriculum that focuses on conceptual understanding, and is ahead of typical U.S. math books. 

Another method available, in case you would like to know, is the Everyday mathematics. - https://www.mheonline.com


This is a book about maths games: Anno's Math Games, Mitsumasa Anno


Games online to practise maths:


I would love to hear from you giving me any suggestion or comment about this matter in order to improve my methodology. Thanks :).

Fabiana

No comments:

Post a Comment

.