Pages

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Super Leaf

My sweet boy loves playing that he is a super hero, his favorite is Batman. We were working with leaves today, hence we decided to make an outfit with it, and he became "Super Leaf". We started to imagine and talk about the main role of this super hero. We discussed and decided that he would protect the trees, and his super powerful leaf bracelet was a great engine that would destroy the monsters who wanted to take the leaves away from humans. I came up with some ideas but most of them was all my son's ideas :)). I just loved the way their minds fly into imaginative creatures and scenarios, its awesome!!!! My son is 4 years and 9 months old. 

Materials:  leaves, grocery bag, painter's masking tape, piece of A4 paper, string, glue and scissors.


Firstly, I put the tape around my son's wrist and then he stuck the leaves around it. The idea of the bracelet was taking from the "I can teach my child" blog. It was a wonderful idea, he loved it. He played with the bracelet all day, he just removed it before taking a shower.

As most of the super heroes have a mask, we also designed one for our "Super Leaf" hero. I moulded the mask to fit  his face. We put glue around it and he stuck the leaves on the mask. We used a string to  tie the mask.

Finally we made a top for "Super Leaf". I had a paper grocery bag at home that I used to make it. I cut the sides to fit his arms, and bottom of the bag to fit his head. We put glue on it and then he stuck the leaves.


My son was very excited about this outfit and he wanted to play with it all day. I told him he could be   detective "Super Leaf", and help the police to find where the monsters took the leaves they had stolen. I used two plastic bags and put 10 leaves in each of them, and hid it around the house. My son took the role quite seriously and was searching around the house for it. 

When he found it, I asked him to count all the leaves he had found. 


I asked him to glue the leaves on a paper and write the numbers beside it as we needed to provide evidence of the amount of leaves the mosters had stolen :). It was a great way to practice maths.


Albert Einstein once said: “If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales.” I love this quote and truly believe it works. Today was a perfect example of how much my child was captivated by the idea of being a Super hero and unveiling a mystery. He loved this activity very much, and I do recommend it to other parents to play with their children too. It is a great way to bond with your little one, and teach them at the same time. Have fun!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

.